Utilities & Utility Assistance

Now, more than ever, it is important for consumers to understand their options for utilities and other services, and how to benefit from assistance programs or how to switch providers.  Below is an overview of providers servicing the 10th Senate District.  If you have questions or would like more information, please do not hesitate to reach out to my office by calling 215-497-9490 or 215-489-5000 or emailing senatorsantarsiero@pasenate.com.

State ResourcesProviders Servicing the 10th Senate District

State Resources

Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission (PUC)

The Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission regulates the many essential utility services that Commonwealth residents and businesses rely on every day. The PUC works to ensure safe and reliable electric, natural gas, pipeline, motor carrier, rail, telecommunications, water and wastewater service at reasonable rates.

For utility customers with complaints or questions about terminations or payment arrangements, call your utility first to try to resolve the issue. If you cannot reach a resolution, file a complaint with the PUC online or by phone.

  • Customer Hotline 1-800-692-7380

The Pennsylvania PUC also offers an official shopping website for electric service called PA Power Switch.  Visit https://www.papowerswitch.com/ to compare local electricity providers in your area.

PA Office of Consumer Advocate

The Office of Consumer Advocate (OCA) is a state agency that represents the interests of Pennsylvania utility consumers before the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission (PUC), federal regulatory agencies, and state and federal courts. The OCA was created by the Pennsylvania General Assembly in 1976 and is an independent office within the Office of Attorney General. The OCA is available to help consumers who have questions or problems with their electric, natural gas, telecommunications, water or wastewater service.

PA Department of Human Services

The PA Department of Human Services offers several assistance programs to assist qualified individuals with paying for utilities.

Providers Servicing the 10th Senate District 


  • (800) 494-4000
  • com/help
  • PECO (for any emergency) 1-800-841-4141
  • (For gas only) 1-844-841-4151


Comcast offers low-cost internet to qualified households through its Internet Essentials program.

Visit www.InternetEssentials.com

Call: 1-855-846-8376

Eligibility Requirements:

  • Qualify for programs like the National School Lunch Program, housing assistance, Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, Federal Pell Grant, and others
  • Live in an area where Comcast Internet service is available
  • Have not had Comcast Internet in the last 90 days
  • Households who owe money to Comcast may still qualify if approved by 12/31/22

Township of Falls Authority

  • Phone: (215) 946-6062

Bucks County Water & Sewer Authority

Morrisville Water & Sewer

  • (215) 295-8181

Bristol Township Sewer

  • (215) 781-0872

Lower Bucks Joint Municipal Authority

  • (215) 945-7400